This programme places the study of law in a historical, social and comparative context. You will develop advanced skills in legal writing, oral presentation and critical reasoning. The programme emphasises the importance of an academic and intellectually challenging approach to the study of law, and of its institutions and processes.
The LLM Qualifying Law Degree puts the study of law within the wider socio-economic and political framework, giving you a social-political grounding in the law.
Candidates with an outstanding academic record who demonstrate high potential for strong performance on one of our Master's degrees can apply for School of Law Postgraduate Fee Awards.
- We are among the top 10 law schools in the UK and in the top three in London in the Times Higher Education 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) rankings, while our research environment was judged conducive to producing research of the highest quality.
- If you already have a degree in a subject other than law, and would like to become a lawyer, then this qualification will enable you to pursue that ambition.
- Allows you to study the core courses you need to complete the academic stage of training for the profession, recognised by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and the Bar Standards Board.
- Our staff are recognised internationally as experts in their fields, and are particularly well known for addressing legal issues from a multidisciplinary, critical and sociological perspective.
- A range of extra-curricular activities are organised throughout the year. You will be able to hear guest speakers of international renown and you can participate in our Student Law Society. An annual retreat takes place at Cumberland Lodge in Windsor Great Park, which allows you to explore a range of contemporary issues in law with specialist speakers. You can also participate in our successful mooting programme, where advocacy training is given by experienced, practising barristers.
Please see website.
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, the requirement for this programme is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 7.0, with not less than 6.5 in each of the sub-tests.
If you don't meet the minimum IELTS requirement, we offer pre-sessional English courses, foundation programmes and language support services to help you improve your English language skills and get your place at Birkbeck.