BPC - Bar Practice Course
At The University of Law, we pride ourselves in offering the best legal training - and our Bar Practice Course (BPC) is no exception.
Our BPC, previously known as the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC), is designed to help you secure pupillage and prepare you for life as a barrister. You can expect exceptionally high standards of tutoring by qualified practitioners with unparalleled experience in delivery advocacy.
We’ll support you in preparing pupillage applications, with access to our specialist careers service from the moment you accept your place.
You can also add an internationally recognised Master’s qualification to your CV and pupillage applications with our Bar Practice Course LLM, in which you could be eligible for a SLC Postgraduate Loan.
Why choose our BPC?
- Gain up to 50 hours advocacy training so you’re fully prepared for the Bar: test your skills in front of real barristers and judges at prestigious mooting competitions organised by our Advocacy Committee and also at our mock trials in courts.
- Study in a small class alongside the brightest students. That’s why we require all students to undergo a live selection process before being offered a place.
- All of our tutors are qualified practitioners with unparalleled experience in delivering advocacy training – many still practise, so you can learn from their insight into today’s legal world.
- Our blended learning delivery means you’ll have access to an engaging and innovative online learning environment, plus face-to-face tutor and peer support when you need it most.
- Flexible study options to suit you: you can choose to study with us full-time or part-time at a number of locations across the UK.
- Succeed in pupillage applications and beyond with our Future Pupil Programme, part of our award-winning Careers and Employability Service, available from the moment you accept your place
- Choose from three pathways to success with our Bar Practice Course LLM: complete real-life work experience via our Pro Bono clinics, write a dissertation or study additional modules and sit the exams after you finish your BPC.
- Exclusive access to our Synap learning and revision tool: complete multiple-choice questions to monitor and review your progress.
*65% of our full-time UK/EEA 2018/19 BPC students graduating in 2019 have successfully secured or completed pupillage (based on student data collated summer 2022).
Course start dates
We have intakes throughout the year, which you can see here.
2023/24 Course Fees (from 1 July 2023)
Outside London - £14,200 (BPC), £16,600 (BPC LLM)
London - £15,650 (BPC), £18,350 (BPC LLM)
- London Bloomsbury