Barrister Training Course (BTC)
Our Barrister Training Course replaces the BPTC that future barristers would previously need to study. Taught by qualified lawyers with extensive practice experience, our new BTC is highly practical, simulating working life in chambers. From day one, you’ll learn to think and act like a barrister.
You will apply your knowledge to realistic legal scenarios of the type you are likely to encounter within pupillage. By developing your advocacy skills throughout, you will focus on learning by doing, so you emerge confident and polished before you step into a courtroom. The Bar is a fiercely competitive profession. That’s why our training is designed to help you gain the extensive knowledge and polished advocacy skills you need to secure pupillage and start your career as a barrister.
On successful completion of Parts 1 and 2, you’ll be eligible to be called to the Bar of England and Wales (subject to meeting the qualifying session requirements of your Inn of Court).
LLM Law and Legal Practice
Our LLM Legal Practice (Bar) incorporates all elements of the Barrister Training Course (BTC) and qualifies for postgraduate loan funding up to £11,222. In addition to both parts of the BTC, you will complete an additional module from a choice of two routes:
- Professional Project: Law
- (coming soon) our SQE 1 preparation course
Why choose this programme?
- Advocacy is taught throughout our course, in small groups of max. five students, allowing you time to practice and refine your skills
- By working in our Virtual Chambers from the outset, you will simulate the typical responsibilities of a pupil barrister, developing your knowledge and skills in context
- In Part 2, choose between common law or commercial practice contexts for additional employability, based on the two most common types of pupillage in England and Wales
- Receive support and regular feedback from our expert tutors, replicating the relationship between pupil barrister and pupil supervisor
- Supported by our innovative learning platform, BPP Adapt, you can track your progress, understand your strengths, and target areas for improvement, ensuring you’re fully prepared to pass your assessments
- Set foot in the real world of law through our award-winning Pro Bono Centre and BTC internship schemes
- Access expert careers advice, guidance with pupillage applications and interview support through our Careers Service
- Each year over £1,000,000 is awarded through our postgraduate scholarships and bursaries to support you through your studies
Postgraduate funding – our Master’s version of the BTC, the LLM Legal Practice (Bar), qualifies for a postgraduate loan of up to £11,222
Law scholarships – we support the brightest future legal talent, from all backgrounds
Future Finance – you can borrow between £2,000 and £40,000 to pay tuition fees and living expenses for higher education in the UK+
+Please note that we do not act as a credit broker to Future Finance and are not responsible for providing the loan or assessing your eligibility for a loan. Further details of eligibility requirements, interest rates and other key terms of the loan are available by visiting the Future Finance website.