With over 25 years’ experience, we are proud to be one of the UK’s leading law schools. Trusted by some of the most influential law firms. Driving innovation in legal training. Our courses focus on your employability. Developing your skills as a lawyer. Giving you the edge to secure a training contract or pupillage. So you’re ready to embrace the demands of practice from day one.
The Barrister Training Course (BTC)
Our new professional training course for aspiring barristers has been developed in close collaboration with chambers and taught by experienced practitioners. Our innovative approach provides the essential legal knowledge and advocacy skills you will need to succeed in practice.
From day one, you’ll learn to think and act like a barrister. You will apply your knowledge to realistic legal scenarios of the type you are likely to encounter within pupillage. By developing your advocacy skills throughout, you’ll emerge confident and polished before you step into a courtroom.
On successful completion, you’ll be eligible to be called to the Bar of England and Wales (subject to meeting the qualifying session requirements of your Inn of Court).
Why Choose BPP University Law School?
- Advocacy is taught throughout our course, in small groups, maximising your time to practise and refine your skills
- By working in our Virtual Chambers from the outset, you will simulate the typical responsibilities of a pupil barrister, developing your knowledge and skills in context
- Choose between common law or commercial practice contexts for additional employability, based on the two most common types of pupillage in England and Wales*
- Receive support and regular feedback from our expert tutors, replicating the relationship between a pupil barrister and pupil supervisor
- Supported by our innovative learning platform, BPP Adapt, you can track your progress, understand your strengths, and target areas for improvement, ensuring you’re fully prepared to pass your assessments
- Graduate with a Master’s degree and access postgraduate loan funding, by completing an additional professional research project
- Set foot in the real world of law through our award-winning Pro Bono Centre and BTC internship scheme
- Access expert careers advice, guidance with pupillage applications and interview support through our Careers Service
*Available in Part 2 only.
Get all the guidance you need to start your legal career journey at our Getting Ahead events and Virtual Open Evenings. Speak to lawyers and tutors, get practical employability advice and experience a taster session. Register your place.
Fees & Funding
Postgraduate funding – you can choose to graduate with an LLM Legal Practice (Bar Route), by completing an additional professional research project. This qualifies for a postgraduate loan of up to £10,906.
Law scholarships – we support the brightest future legal talent, from all backgrounds
Future Finance – you can borrow between £2,500 and £40,000 to pay tuition fees and living expenses for higher education in the UK*
*Please note that we act as a credit broker to Future Finance and are not responsible for providing the loan or assessing your eligibility for a loan. Further details of eligibility requirements, interest rates and other key terms of the loan are available by visiting the Future Finance website.
If English is not your first language and you do not hold an honours degree that was delivered in English, you will be required to provide certified proof of ability in written and spoken English to at least IELTS 6.5 (overall) or equivalent with a minimum of 6.0 in each module
From day one, you’ll learn to think and act like a barrister. Apply your knowledge by tackling realistic legal scenarios, preparing you for scenarios that you are likely to encounter within pupillage. And by developing your advocacy skills throughout, you’ll emerge confident and polished before you step into a courtroom.
Specialist careers advice
Our specialist careers service is available to you for support and guidance from the moment you accept your place until up to 12 months after you complete your studies with us.
With our one-to-one support, we give you the edge when it comes to enhancing your legal career. You’ll have everything you need including access to our vacancies database, advice on filling out application forms, intensive interview coaching, employer research and networking opportunities.
BPP Pro Bono Centre
Gain hands-on legal experience by volunteering for a project with our award-winning Pro Bono Centre. Opportunities are available at all our study centres.
BPP graduates have secured more pupillages in barristers’ chambers than those of any other provider.*