Our structured two-year Trainee Development Programme focuses on building the technical and business skills that are fundamental for you to become a successful solicitor. The number and variety of seats available across our offices gives you the opportunity to gain a real breadth and depth of work during your training contract, meaning that you do not feel pressured to select an area of specialism too early in your career.
Structure of Training
You will spend six months in four different practice areas and you will be encouraged to spend time in each of our different departments. That said, we are flexible, and will work with you to tailor your training contract to suit your preferences, alongside the needs of the business. As an Exeter based trainee, you will also be encouraged to spend time in our Bristol and London offices. In each seat you will be allocated a supervisor who will support, encourage and supervise you during your seat with them. You will also have access to a 'buddy' who will guide you through your training contract and help you feel at home from day one.
The level of responsibility given to our trainees is high. You will be running your own files, working in a team on bigger transactions and experiencing client contact on the phone and in meetings, making you an integral part of the team, from very early on.
We recruit to retain and view our trainees as our future Associates and Partners, and as such we are dedicated to our trainees' successful development. As well as supporting you through your PSC exams, you will also receive training on financial and business awareness, how to make the most of your training contract, communication and people skills, and marketing and networking. Once your training contract is complete, you will continue to have access to bespoke development programmes and opportunities at every stage of your career.
Our Trainee Development Programme will offer you:
- A training contract based in Exeter with the opportunity to choose a seat in our Bristol or London office
- Four seats, each lasting six months
- Secondment opportunities: previous opportunities have included 6 months at the MET office
- A tailor-made personal development programme aligned to your specific skill set
- Coaching and support on a one-to-one basis in relation to seat options
- A structured internal development programme aimed at developing you to become a fully- rounded professional
- Opportunities to attend various networking events outside the firm
- Opportunity to be part of a sector group where you will have responsibility for cross-selling, generating business development ideas and hosting/attending relevant events
- A Trainee buddy scheme