Harrowells have a network of seven offices located in the city of York and key market towns in the surrounding area. Given our location, we have built up considerable expertise in many aspects of private client law - in its widest sense. This includes providing, often technically advanced, advice concerning land & property transactions, family law, tax & estate planning and the legal aspects of long term care.
Unusually, compared with many equivalent practices, there is also a strong emphasis on litigation. This explains the development of our specialist commercial litigation, clinical negligence and personal injury claimant teams which punch above their weight (given the overall size of the firm) and which attract clients beyond Yorkshire.
Based at a dedicated corporate centre on the northern outskirts of York, our corporate and commercial practice areas have steadily expanded – serving both local owner managed businesses and larger corporates.
We have evolved into a major regional law firm through a mixture of organic growth and absorption of successful rural practices (Hileys and Powell & Young).
Providing legal advice that is valued and delivered profitably relies on more than just ‘technical knowledge’. We are therefore looking for individuals who have the potential to develop rapport with a wide range of clients, colleagues and other professionals and show commercial acumen when giving advice and organising their own work and time.
As a trainee you will be challenged from day one but always supported by your Supervisor and will be given the opportunity to deal with hands-on client work from the outset. You will complete 4 x 6 month seats in both contentious and non-contentious law having the opportunity to gain experience from the following Departments:
- Commercial Property
- Company Commercial
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Personal Injury
- Private Client
- Residential Conveyancing
We take up to four trainees each year in January and July and the closing date for 2019 intake will be the 24th September 2018. Applications received after this date will not be considered.
Salary & Benefits
- A competitive salary is offered with regular pay increases to reflect increased knowledge and experience.
- 25 days’ holiday per year plus all UK Bank Holidays
- Contributory Pension Scheme (after qualifying period)
- Life Assurance x 2 (after qualifying period)
- Westfield Health Plan (after qualifying period)
- Child Care Vouchers
- Cycle to Work Scheme
Harrowells are looking for individuals who have a strong academic background and will have either successfully completed their LPC or will be due to complete in June 2019.
In addition individuals will be able to demonstrate they:
- Are commercially aware
- Have enthusiasm with the desire to succeed
- Have the ability to adapt well to new situations and working styles
- Show initiative and resourcefulness
- Are excellent team players
- Have excellent communication skills with the ability to adapt them to any audience
- Are self-motivated and stand out from the crowd
- Have the desire to continue developing their skills and broadening their knowledge and expertise
Successful applicants will be invited to an assessment day which will take place on the 16th and 17th October at our central York offices.
Harrowells recruits on the basis of talent and we are interested in receiving applications from everyone who meets the criteria irrespective of background or where they may have studied.
We welcome applications from both law and non-law graduates together with those who are looking for a change in direction of their career
For further information visit our job opportunities page at www.harrowells.co.uk .